The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) (Pub. L. 111-353) enables the Food and Drug Administration (FDA or the Agency) to better protect public health by helping to ensure the safety and security of the food supply.
This guidance document describes FDA’s policy regarding participation in FDA’s Voluntary Qualified Importer Program (VQIP) by importers of food for humans or animals. This document provides guidance on:
- The benefits VQIP importers can expect to receive;
- The eligibility criteria for VQIP participation;
- Instructions for completing a VQIP application;
- Conditions that may result in revocation of participation in VQIP; and
- Criteria for VQIP reinstatement following revocation.
Important reading for anyone in the food industry.